One of my best friends recently gave birth to an adorable baby girl (named Lucina, how cute is that?) and is now discovering the ups (sweet baby smiles!) and downs (hello, sleep deprivation!) that come with new motherhood. As any new mom knows, the first few weeks/months/years are a blur of wonderment, exhaustion and uncertainty. Although everyone wants to come visit the family and their new addition, it can be overwhelming and just a teeny bit selfish because they might not be up to it themselves! So, when I visit I will try my best not be a burden that they have to “entertain”, but to be there as a helper for them – cleaning if they need, running errands if they want, and first and foremost bringing them meals so they don’t have to worry about cooking on top of caring for this new little babe!
Because really, cleaning and the other household stuff can mostly slide – but you need to eat! Showers are also wonderful and naps are a necessity. But back to the point, one of the best things to do for new moms is to bring them food that they can prepare with a minimum of effort.
Tips for Bringing Food to New Moms
- Don’t overstay unless the mom asks you to!
- Use disposable containers – guiltily, it’s not very environmentally conscious but what new mom wants to clean dishes after?!
- Easy to re-heat, no complicated directions please!
- Freezable so it can last a good long time!
- Hearty and filling, taking care of a baby is hard work!
Here are some of the meals I’m planning to bring over to her… and maybe make more for myself too!
15 Delicious Meals for New Moms
- White Cut Chicken with Ginger Scallion Oil – I love this dish, it just tastes so homey and familiar. The ginger scallion oil I could put on anything.The leftover broth after you cook the chicken makes an awesome soup too!
- Zuppa Toscana Copycat Soup – This Olive Garden copy tastes awesome and is a great way to use up all the kale we get from our CSA!
- Cheesy Potato Breakfast Casserole – can you imagine starting off the day with this? So delish!
- Roasted Corn and Potato Chowder – I haven’t tried this, but it just sounds amazing.
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili – I just can’t get enough chili. It’s perfect cold weather food!
- Cream Cheese Crockpot Chicken – I love alliteration. And crockpot meals.
- Crockpot Southwest Chicken and Rice Chowder – Have I mentioned I like crockpot meals?
- Loaded Potato and Buffalo Chicken Casserole – There is just so much good in this that I can’t even.
- Black Bean Taco Soup – tacos in soup form are the way to my heart!
- Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas – cheesy and delicious!
- Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Bake – tender chicken, cheesy tortellini, and flavorful mushrooms. YES PLEASE.
- Fiesta Casserole – cuz who doesn’t love a good fiesta?
- Beef Stew – hearty and delicious beef stew is terrific for recovering moms!
- Southwestern Chicken Casserole – they compared to this to a Chipotle chicken burrito bowl so I have to try this!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Pasta – they made my favorite dip into a pasta?! The internet is amazing.
Besides the first two, I haven’t actually cooked any of the others but they look so amazing that I have to get on it. And baby mama needs to eat so I’m sure she won’t mind being my little guinea pig! I can’t wait to see her and little Luci!